The 3 I’s for the Design and Technology curriculum
Our Design and Technology curriculum is designed for pupils to:
- Understand that the world around them is designed for a purpose and to begin evaluating the effectiveness of these designs
- Understand the process of designing and creating to meet criteria
- Develop a range of key skills in order to create products that are fit for purpose
At Abbas and Templecombe Design and Technology is taught within each class in accordance with the EYFS Framework (with links made to Expressive Arts and Designs programme of study) and the National Curriculum. Three key concepts will underpin all of the knowledge and skills within our Design and Technology curriculum. Each class will build upon prior learning; reviewing and revising what has previously been taught and adding new knowledge and developing more advanced skills.
Design and Technology will be taught weekly (for 3 half terms throughout the year) as a discrete lesson to ensure our pupils understand the distinctness of the subject. Each class will create a textiles project, a structures and mechanisms project and a food technology project each year. To create these products to meet specific criteria the children will follow a evaluate-design-make-evaluate format.
Once a year each class will have a ‘D&T Appreciation’ morning to ensure the ambitious aims our of Design and Technology curriculum can be met. These appreciation mornings will focus on the design process and how this is applied to real life designs.
Our Design and Technology curriculum will ensure that children at Abbas and Templecombe Primary School:
- Can talk confidently about the design process of the different products they have created that year/during their time at our school
- Can talk about the products they encounter in the world that have been designed for a purpose and evaluate their effectiveness
- Show pride and enthusiasm for the products they have created and identify the skills they needed for each one
Concept and Curriculum Maps
These documents detail our concepts, values link and class teaching objectives for each class.