The 3 I’s for the French curriculum
Our Modern Foreign Languages curriculum is designed for KS2 pupils to:
- Be exposed to another language
- Understand that people speak different languages and respect their choice to communicate in this way
- Appreciate that people have different cultures and that language is part of this
At Abbas and Templecombe French is taught within each KS2 class in accordance with the National Curriculum. Four key concepts will underpin all of the knowledge and skills within our MFL curriculum. Each class will build upon prior learning; reviewing and revising what has previously been taught and adding new knowledge and developing more advanced skills.
French will be taught weekly as a discrete lesson following the Twinkl scheme of learning ‘PlanIt French’ which is designed to offer an insight into the culture of different French speaking countries and communities whilst developing oral and written language skills. Knowledge organiser’s will be used to support children with their acquisition of key vocabulary, grammatical structures and knowledge.
Our MFL curriculum will ensure that children at Abbas and Templecombe Primary School:
- Show enthusiasm for their French lessons and are able to talk about their learning within the subject
- Understand that further opportunities for language studies, continuing French and introducing alternative languages, are available as they continue their education
- Can talk about French speaking countries and communities, showing an understanding of language as part of their culture
Concept and Curriculum Maps
These documents detail our concepts, values link and class teaching objectives for our Key Stage 2 classes.